Continuing my experiments with glass painting.
I did a sampler type thing, using pretty much anything in my work room I thought might stick on glass. Sharpies and my posh coloured markers worked surprisingly well, the thicker ones left barely any streaks. Proper glass paints left the same streaky marks as the acrylics did. I tried mixing the acrylic with PVA, or painting it neat onto a dried layer of PVA, neither looked particularly good. Played with some gutta I had lying around, but wasn’t very happy with it. A mixture of black acrylic, PVA and plaster of Paris made a nice faux leading effect. Scrape and water tests showed all of these will come off with a bit of effort. No major difference between plain acrylic and the PVA tests. Vitriol glass paints probably the toughest to move.
Going from this I did another tester using plain acrylics and the acrylic/plaster of Paris/PVA outliner.
A simpler outline this time, I want to get a better idea of paint marks rather than fancy detailing.
I did a base coat of plain black acrylic paint for the outlines. Next time I’ll make this neater as it’s clearly visible from the back.
I tried using multiple layers of watered down, or PVA mixed, acrylic, but the second layer wouldn’t paint on properly – it was picking up the first layer. Plain acrylic had the same problem in some colours, but was mostly ok with a bit of care.
Brush marks are still a big problem, but I’ve been playing. Making a feature of the brush marks by applying thickly with short, randomly placed, strokes created an interesting texture. Dabbing using a paintbrush made a good pattern, but took forever. Sponging was my favourite, creating an even texture fairly easily. A stiff paintbrush dabbed on fills in smaller areas the sponge can’t get to.
The acrylic/plaster of Paris/PVA mix worked well, but it’s tricky to get on neatly. A thin round brush worked best, working in layers if needed. Might try using a dark grey for the base next time,Mobutu it looks pretty good with the plain black from the back.