Apocalyptic Gubbins

More bits and pieces for 5kREM.

First up, some armour I’ve been working on. It made using bits and bobs from my loft, most of them from the House of Objects originally.

image

 

image

 

This foam is quite dense, around 2cm thick. I cut channels in it for flexibility, then kinda went wild with a scalpel and a heat gun to try and make it look less like foam. If you wanted to make something more military looking, you could mark out lines and cut more carefully, leave thicker ‘plate’ sections in flat areas etc. but I was going for scrappy, messed up looking. The pattern is super simple, I cut two vaguely torso sized rectangles then cut down arm holes until it fit round comfortably. You can always leave it big and cut down more later.

 

 

 

image

 

Moving it between Me2 and the heat gun, I moulded it to a more human shape. It’s not closely fitted, but a bit more comfortable than a flat sheet. It still fits blokes quite well, but has room for boobs when I wear it.

 

image

 

The straps and buckles were all scavenged, too. I used thick black leather to make washer type things then nuts and bolts to hold them in place. Sewing or riveting the foam doesn’t work well, they just rip out. The leather stiffens things and holds everything in place. Heavy fabric or stiffer foam might work too, but I had leather scraps to hand. Oh and black duct tape is handy for reinforcing inside any areas that you’ve cut too thin… It’s supposed to look beaten up and messy!

Next up, a prop Geiger counter I made a while ago. I kinda thought I’d already posted about this, but I couldn’t find anything.

image

It started life as a cheap micrometer. I played about with the electrics first, running the senser wires up through the casing and out the top. Using scraps from my electrical gubbins box I hooked up a longer, thicker wire bundle with probes on the end I can squeeze together to make the needle jump.

image

 

I tried painting over the display, but it wasn’t really working. Tip-ex though, worked a treat. It’s a bit messy and lumpy looking, but that’s cool, adds to the rough and ready effect.

image

 

I used black┬ánail varnish to cover the labels on the dial. For the new labels I spent a while on Wikipedia learning about how radiation is measured (complexly, it turns out) then swiftly forgot all that and just stuck some of the unit abbreviations on where they looked right, with my trusty childhood John Bull printing set. I didn’t have any decent varnish kicking about so used clear nail varnish. It smeared things up a bit, unfortunetly, but I just kept reminding myself it’s supposed to look messy.

image

 

image

 

All done! It’s ok, I like the twitch, but I really want to make one that makes that distinctive Geiger counter clicking noise.

And finally, a sneak peek of some of the props from a photo shoot I did a while ago for Bee Grotesque. I’m still working on the resulting photos, and a way to use them, but they’ll appear at some point.

image

 

image

 

 

image

 

 

 

 

 

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *